Skip to main content

THE ID EXPERIENCE 










A JOURNEY THROUGH SIERRA LEONE 

 

 

 

I-D's Fashion Editor at Large Ibrahim Kamara & photographer Rafael Pavarotti cast models from schools and community centers in this striking documentation of the West African nation.

 

INSPIRED, HAPPY, POWERFUL, SCREAMING!

 

So many emotions, this is Sierra Leone, my Sierra Leone, Our Sierra Leone.

 

This editorial captured the beauty, uniqueness and light of my people, the energies, passion and vibes that filled the whole process can not be fully explained, it was a spiritual experience for all. 

 

I got to see the the transformative power of arts in all it’s glory, a reassurance in the kings and queens that my city birthed, this project was produced by the whole Sierra Leone, the life of the country contributed to every element that came together to make this work complete, from the smiles at the market to the heat of the sun, everything was divine. 

 

Scouting for models in schools and markets, we were all unsure as to whether we would find pupils or traders who would be interested in being part of this, we stayed positive  but definitely had our doubts, and to our surprise, lots of the pupils from the schools and parents of traders in town wanted some form of involvement for their children, they were happy to explore the creative possibilities, even though at the time they weren’t sure of what they were getting into, they all radiated so much positive energies and that gave the team so much life.

 

To IB Kamara my Sierra Leonean brother, ever since I met you in 2017, you have made it your duty to share your talent and heart with the creative industry in Sierra Leone, and in doing that you continue to inspire myself and the next generation of creative professionals that will walk down these Freetown streets.

 

THE BOY FROM BIG WHARF

 

Watching you re assuring the models of how beautiful and powerful they all were was magical, Rafael wrote in a piece that this process was one of the most spiritual and enriching experiences he’s ever had, I completely agree with that because the emotions he radiated after every shot were pure as water, love and light to you my Brazilian brother.

 

 

 

On shoot days the crew bonded over cassava leaves and shared personal stories, the lunch breaks brought calm and the wardrobe changes brought beautiful chaos, watching beautiful girls come to set in their uniforms and then transform to living queens is something I still can’t get out of my head, so much laughter, teamwork, spirit and soul filled the air, creating all of this was indeed a powerful experience.

 

 

Honored to have been part of this process, I found so much clarity and purpose in producing this project and I’ll take that with me forever. I watched shy pupils embody their inner diva and stayed in total control, such a boost to their confidence levels and aspirations 

 

On the last day of shooting, a male pupil said” Mr. Kwaku, I want to do more of this as a career, how can I learn more?” That in it self meant so much to me, to watch someone choose a path with such certainty and determination, very unsure of how he would go about it all, but he knew he had found peace in the arts. 

 

I remember not too long ago, my country with so much beauty, had very little understanding and appreciation for arts and expression, myself and the many creative professionals that are now writing the blueprint have had to fight our way through and break certain norms to ensure that more people are accepting of their color within.

 

The art of being creative and expressive is very powerful and it lives in each and every person.

 

 

 

 

PHOTOGRAPHY: Rafael Pavarotti


STYLING: Ibrahim Kamara

STYLING ASSISTANCE:   Sasha Harris and Felix Paradza.


PRODUCTION : Kwaku Kamara & Zara Antar

MODELS

Shalom John, Mujae Keifala, Alimatu Bengura, 
Shirley Johnson, Mariama Williams, Aminata Sowe, Isatu L Bah, Mariama S Bah, Isha Ramadan Bah, Foday Yansaneh, Teddy Paul, Hassan Kamara, Alhassan Kamara, Abdulrahim Bangura, Andrew B Conteh, Abubakarr Conteh, Michael Conteh, 
Sheku Ensaoo, Blessing Sesay, and Augustine Lahai.


Special thanks to St Edward’s and St Joseph’s secondary schools and to all parents of models.


All headpieces and headwraps worn throughout Ibkamarastudios.

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The ultimate creative

Hey mama,         How I wish you were here to see what the world has become, now we can share our thoughts and feelings with the world and it gets to inspire or tear down the confidence and journeys of other people, isn't it amazing?  I'm taking a step forward and starting a blog, I’ve got this constant thread of thought that goes on in my head, yes, the unrest is crazy, almost toxic, but who am I to question my genes, atoms, molecules and brain structure?  So in order to maintain my sanity & free myself from this whirlwind in my brain I will try sharing these thoughts with the few people who are also doing some soul searching.  My take on life  might get them to jump off a bridge or get the hell off their faces and keep going, but either ways I get to put these thoughts out there into the universe, as a creative person who solely relies  on taste, color, smell, sight, sound and the things I feel to function, one can say my senses are my gift, yes I do believe
MASC| FEMME  A different take on Masculinity.   I’m very sure boys at my primary school never understood why my uniform was always so clean when we left the school premises, neither did the girls in my neighborhood understand how a boy could get so lost in playing dodge ball, these are all childhood memories that I will forever cherish, they shaped me, made me a bit of a clown and also prepared me to be the leader that I am, yes!   You heard that right, LEADER. _ I would spend hours indoors helping my mum mix the butter and sugar for cakes she would bake for clients, that was what interested me, I didn’t understand the whole concept of running around a field with other sweaty guys , I was too calm for that but then also too rough for them, strong bones, wild mind and eccentric thoughts, if I had played football with the boys from my school, I’m sure I would have been suspended for violence because to this gentle side there is also a WILD BEAST. _ I still dress in all t